Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thirsty?

Thirsty Thursday!: June 9, 2011

So last night I went out and celebrated my recent job offer. I'll be a teller at Chase bank. The job is a Godsend because money goes fast in the City of Angels.

By the way let me tell you about this job thing. My first goal was to get a job when I got out here to the west. Gotta get that dough. After putting in applications and applying at places like Ralph's and Target (retail) I thought I would get dressed up one day in a shirt and tie and see what I could do at the bank right up the street called Wells Fargo. I thought that this might pay a little more and I have a step up because I have experience in the field. Before I walked out of the door I said, "God, let me be in your favour". I took one resume with me that day and when I arrived I spoke to a teller. She informed me that all applications are submitted online only. I continued to ask her if I could leave my resume with her or the manager. She denied and said everything is done online. Ok, I thought, I took my resume and was on my way. I went outside and gave a homeless gentlemen $2 bucks that I had in my wallet (I told myself [after I ignored him walking into the store] that I would give him what I had when I came out). Then I saw the big Chase sign on the building right across the street from where I was standing. I was only going to go to Wells Fargo that day but since they didn't want my resume and I still had it in my possession and I was still wearing my shirt and tie...

...I thought, Why Not?...

I walked into the same scenario. A teller advised me that everything is completed online but I continued again to ask if I could leave my resume. He called his manager and asked. A gentleman named Don walked out of the office behind me and said "Sure! Let me take a look."  He scanned over it quickly and said, "Have a seat."

I walked in his office and was quickly introduced to another lady named Mellisa. Mellisa happened to be a manager at what they call a "New Build" or new branch in a new area. I then noticed a stack of papers on the desk. They were going over resumes for hopeful applicants. We talked for a while and did some role play. They got to know a little about me and mentioned that I should have no problem going out and meeting people or succeeding in the work place because of my initiative to get out and get it done. "You obviously did the foot work to show your face and bring in your resume". They told me to go home and apply online and take the assessment provided  (you are not supposed to have the opportunity to interview without first applying online.) 

 "Take your time" she said..."alot of people are failing the assessment"

Don told me to email him after I finished so I followed up and he informed me that someone would be reaching out to me. Later that day Mellisa called and asked me if I would be ok with wearing a shirt and tie and jazz like that, I said "Of Course!". She said that I would be suprised how many people have a problem with that. Im thinking the whole time that those people must not really need a job.

I waited a few days and heard nothing so I called back. I asked Don if he had received the results back from my assessment, he said that he got an email back that said "recommended". He continued to say that someone would be reaching out to me.

The next day a recruiter called and said that if I accept my pay rate and benefits package and uniform requirements then I have the job contingent on background check and drug testing. I accepted and he congratulated me because there was a very large pool of applicants and he said that I seemed to impress Don and Mellisa.

Contingent...that word tends to spark doubt even among the great news that I had just received. I took the drug test and fingerprinting in the time frame provided and waited anxiously for 5 days for the results. I called the number that they provided me to check the progress on everything and the recruiter told me that she just had to submit my I9 form and I am good to go. Everything cleared...Congratulations.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

This story is a true story. A month in LA and already a job. All honesty, God had every step already planned out. I just had to do me and realize the truth that God really does have my back. Life is like that...all the time.

Which brings us to Thirsty Thursday...last night I went out and celebrated which mean that this morning, Thursday morning....I was dehydrated. So I drank like a third of this gigantic container of water in like an hour when I first woke up. Water is essential for the battle of a hangover. First you drink a full glass after your night of celebrating and drinking and in the a.m. you drink more water. Water is life people.

I just have to ask you... What are you thirsty for? A new job? Tighter family ties? A better life? Happiness? Water?

Know that the thirst quencher is out there for you to grab. Its there all the time for you to take a sip. So sit back and don't worry, the water of life will keep you hydrated.

P.S. For all of you mobile readers of my blog (sister in particular) I made some changes to my blog which should make it easier for you to navigate and view my posts. Give me some feedback on how it is working for you.

1 comment:

  1. Good story Chris!
    PS. It is WAAAY better on my phone now! Perfect, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete